A lot of what we do nowadays is a waste of time.
There, I said it. If we look at ourselves, we know this is true. Deep down, we know we waste a lot of time.
Now, I'm okay with wasting time every now and then. I love a good video game, or just goofing around. But really, there's a lot of things I do that I could use to evaluate. I mean, I know why I do some things, but that usually means "I just felt like it." That's not really a reason, per se.
So in light of my wife's wonderful thoughts on "Why" I've decided to put together a list of the major time sinks in my life, and then think about why I do them. Here they are, in no particular order:
- Husband - To serve, protect, and provide for my wife. She's more than my friend; she's a part of me.
- Dad - To raise a generation that values and fights for the things that really matter. To help them each reach their fullest potential, whatever that may be.
- Work/Job - To earn money and provide for my family. They benefit from it more than I do. I spend the most time here.
- The '65 Rambler - Spending time with my dad, and meeting new people. We never got to do this when I was young. A way for us to share time together with something we both enjoy.
- Boy Scouts - I believe that involved dads are the key to raising boys, and I wanted to give my son and the other young boys the same benefit. Develops character, physical activity, teaches practical skills.
- Bike Commuting - Makes me stronger, saves money, helps me get my ADD under control. This makes me feel better.
- Church Music - Using God's gift to worship Him, bless others, and serve the Body of Christ. This is when I am closest to God.
- Writing - Spreading a God-centered worldview, and helping people use their brains and improve their lives.
- Impromptu Dance Party DJ - Pretty self explanatory. This brings some fun into everyday boring life.
I don't know if I'm doing this "right" but it seemed like a pretty good summary of my life in general right now.
What are you spending your time on?